With my advanced training in NeuroScience, public health, Management, Conflict resolution, leadership, and research I hope to help humanity overcome suffering.
1/2011— Present Loma Linda University
Director of Research Education
Creating a culture of research through education and collaboration.
7/2009—Present Loma Linda University
Director of Research, Neurology Department
Our efforts in Neurology research (Clinical, and Investigator Initiated) has made us the second largest research group in Loma Linda system.
7/2008-Present Loma Linda University
Director of Memory and Aging Center
Create a novel approach to acute and chronic dementing diseases, through a multicultural approach, as well as emphasis on community and preventive measures.
1/2003-12/2005 Deputy Minister of Health Kabul Afghanistan / MiWorld Bank
Deputy Minister of Health
Best management strategy in a post conflict country (LANCET).
7/2002-12/2002 World Bank
Health consultant for the Afghan Project
Implement World Bank’s PPA health care distribution plan in 10 Afghan provinces, while empowering women to lead the delivery process.
1/2010-Present Loma Linda University
Management and Leadership
1/2008-2011 Loma Linda University
Epidemiology of Aging.
7/2006-7/2008 UCSD, Fellow in Dementia/Geriatrics
To learn advanced research techniques for investigating diseases of the elderly and those dealing with dementia in particular.
Masters in Clinical Research (CREST)
Neurodegenerative diseases/Experimental Therapeutics
7/1999-6/2000 Georgetown University
6/1996-5/1999 Georgetown University
6/1995-5/1996 Georgetown University
7/1991-5/1995 Eastern Virginia Medical School
1987-1990 George Mason University
B.S. in Biochemistry and B.S. in Psychology
1986-1987 University of Pittsburgh
A. Sherzai, Steven D Edland, Eliezer Masliah, Lawrence Hansen, Donald P Pizzo, Ayesha Z Sherzai, Jody Corey-Bloom
Alzheimer’s and Dementia-2012-Spongiform change in Lewy body dementia and Alzheimer disease.
Sherzai AZ, Heim L, Boothsby C, A Sherzai
Stroke risk and Nutritional factors
Journal of Nutrition and Geriatrics (to be published in October Edition)
Heim L, Perez L, Sherzai AZ, A Sherzai
Vascular Dementia and Nutrition
Journal of Nutrition and Aging (to be published in September)
Banta JE, Belk I, Newton K, Sherzai A.
Clinicoecon Outcomes Res. 2010;2:149-58. Epub 2010 Oct 11.
Eyler Lisa, Sherzai A, Allison R. Kaup, M.S., Dilip V. Jeste, M.D.
A Review of Functional Brain Imaging Correlates of Successful Cognitive Aging
Bio. Psychiatry. 2011
Whitehair DC, Sherzai A, Emond J, Raman R, Aisen PS, Petersen RC, Fleisher AS.
Alzheimer’s Disease Cooperative Study.
Alzheimers Dement. 2010 Sep;6(5):412-9.
Phase 2 safety trial targeting amyloid beta production with a gamma-secretase inhibitor in Alzheimer disease.
Arch Neurol. 2008 Aug;65(8):1031-8.
Glutamate release inhibition ineffective in levodopa-induced motor complications.
Mov Disord. 2006 Sep;21(9):1380-3.
PMID: 16758479 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
Effects of serotonin 5-HT1A agonist in advanced Parkinson’s disease.
Mov Disord. 2005 Aug;20(8):932-6.
PMID: 15791634 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
Effect of monoamine reuptake inhibitor NS 2330 in advanced Parkinson’s disease.
Mov Disord. 2004 Oct;19(10):1183-6.
PMID: 15390018 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
Bara-Jimenez W, Sherzai A, Dimitrova T, Favit A, Bibbiani F, Gillespie M, Morris MJ, Mouradian MM, Chase TN
Adenosine A(2A) receptor antagonist treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
Neurology. 2003 Aug 12;61(3):293-6.
PMID: 12913186 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
2009—Dermatomyositis case study, Vishwa, J Escutin, A Sherzai
2009—Review—Using Health care to empower women in the most recalcitrant of societies– Lavinia Mitroi, Ayesha Z Sherzai, A. Dean Sherzai
2012–NIS: Oldest Old/ Dementia comorbidities and outcomes
2012–NIS: Dementia in hospital mortality
2012–Review: Micronutrients and risk of Parkinson’s disease
2010—Experimental nutrition and cell adhesion in stroke
2010— Review: foods affecting cognitive status across diverse populations
2010—Influence of diet and lifestyle on the risk of dementia: AHS
2010— Review: community based screening interventions for mild cognitive impairments
2010— Review on community based exercise models in the elderly
2010— Evaluating patterns of dementia care among elderly patients using national inpatient sample
2010—The ethical issues amongst the elderly with cognitive impairment
2010—Community Based approach to cognitive health management in four diverse communities
2009—Influence of diet and lifestyle as manifested in CVLT scores in a cohort of AHS subjects
2009—Retrospective study on dietary effects on stroke patients in the AHS
2009—Diet (high PUFA and vegetarian diet) and its influence on cognitive decline
2009—Influence of acute treatment of delirium in long term risk for Dementia
2008—Cognitive status in Adventist population (diet stratified)
2010-Harvard College Global health review—Reflections on Reconstruction of the Afghan Health Care system
2009-Aventist Review—Healhty Aging
2008-Physician –Dementia and Aging
2002—Intraparenchymal infusion of Glial cell line derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) in the treatment of Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP). (unpublished)
Books and Book Chapters
5- Minute Consult 2012– Transient Global Amnesia
Overseeing more than 16 Clinical trials in Movement disorders, Neuromuscular, MS, ALS, Stroke, and Pain.
PI on Pfizer Bapinuzomab Alzheimer’s trial
Past Clinical Trials
2006-2008—AAB-02 (Passive immunization in Alzheimer’s)
2006-2008–Phase 2 safety trial targeting amyloid beta production with a gamma-secretase inhibitor in Alzheimer disease
2000-2002– PI and Sub I on more than 7 clinical trials at NIH
Talks/ Seminars/ Conferences
1) Healthy brain aging –Bowmont talk July 2008
2) Healthy brain aging — LLU east Campus–Thursday March 05, 2009. 10:30- 11:30
3) Healthy brain aging– Sun lakes– Friday April 10 2009. 10:00- 11:30
4) Healthy brain aging– Redlands Senior Center– Thursday May 21, 2009. 10:30- 11:30
5) Healthy brain aging–Yucaipa Senior Center– Thursday June 11, 2009. 10:30- 11:30
6) Healthy brain aging– Rancho Cucamonga– Thursday August 20, 2009. 10:30- 11:30
7) Healthy brain aging- (Community (fait based) approach) — Azure Hill church Saturday 2008
8) Healthy brain aging– (Community (fait based) approach) — Hill top church Saturday 2008
9) Healthy brain aging– (Community (fait based) approach) — Spanish church Loma Linda 2009
10) Healthy brain aging– Tamecula– thursday November 19, 2009. 10:30- 11:30
11) Healthy brain aging– Chino Senior Center– Tuesday Jan. 19, 2010. 10:00- 11:00
12) Healthy brain aging– City of Chino Hills– Friday Feb. 05, 2010. 10:30- 11:30
13) Memory disorders and Healthy brain aging– Yucaipa Senior Center– Friday April 16 2010. 10:30- 11:30
14) Healthy brain aging– Rancho Cucamonga– Friday, May 14, 2010. 10:30- 11:30
15) Healthy brain aging- talk to Physicians Arrowhead community – August 19th. 10:00- 2:00pm
16) Healthy brain aging– Mary Philips Senior Center– Friday August 27, 2010. 10:30- 11:30
17) Healthy brain aging– Redlands Jocalyn Senior Center– Friday, Sep. 10, 2010. 11:00- 12:00
18) Healthy brain aging– City of Chino Hills– Friday, November 05, 2010. 10:30- 11:30
19) Healthy brain aging- community involvement (10 African American Churches)– Saturday November 06, 2010– 10:00- 1:00pm
20) Healthy brain aging– Lake Elsinore Senior Center –Friday Nov. 05 2010. 12:15-13:15
21) Healthy brain aging– Yucaipa Senior Center–Thursday, Jan. 13 2011. 10:30- 11:30
22) Healthy brain aging– Rancho Cucamonga Senior Center– Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2011. 10:30- 11:30
23) Healthy brain aging- Redlands Joslyn Senior Center– Thursday, April 21, 2011. 11:00- 12:00
24) Healthy brain aging– Mary Phillips Senior Center Temecula– Wednesday, Sep. 14 2011. 10:30- 11:30
25) Healthy brain aging- Lake Elsinore Senior Center– Wednesday, Sep. 14 2011. 12:30- 13:30
26) 2010 APC On Dementia and Aging for LLU Alumni
27) Healthy Aging talk with Ayesha– Rancho Cucamonga Mosque– Nov. 13 2010.
28) Lecture on Healthy brain Aging for Dental alumni association — Loma Linda Centennial hall – February 2011
29) 3-4-11-APC talk on Dementia and Aging for the Loma Linda Alumni
30) 3-6-11-Healthy Cognitive Aging — Afghan Women’s Association community health – presented to national television
31) Healthy Aging with Ayesha – Afghan TV —
32) Healthy aging — Loma Linda Senior Center — April 21- 2011
33) Healthy aging — Chino Senior Center — April 22- 2011 27th Annual IACC Spring Conference. The Aging of the Inland Empire: A Collaborative in Putting the Pieces Together 8:30am – 4:30pm
34) International access TV — Healthy aging (community based)– May 9th 2011
35) Healthy brain aging– (Community (fait based) approach) May 20 – Mosque- San gabriel
36) June 2nd healthy Chino Tuesday, June 21, 2011 Topic Healthy Aging
11:00 – 12:30 Redlands Joslyn Senior Center
37) Oct.17 Palm Spring Senior center — Healthy Brain Aging
38) Oct.17 Healthy Brain Aging — Palm Spring Hyatt– Physician continued education
39) Oct-29-2011 Chino Alzheimer’s Association Walk
40) Nov- 10- 2011 AARP Riverside county conference on Aging
41) 12-05-2011 American Health Care Congress– Challenges for health care in a rapidly aging society
42) Healthy Aging Conference: March 6th-7th 2012
NIH/ DUKE UNIVERSITY Masters in clinical research; Full Scholarship 2002
NIA/NIH SUMMER INTERNSHIP AWARD 2009
NINDS/NIH STUDENT INTERNSHIP AWARD 2002
Resident Appreciation Award, Neurology Department, 2010
Resident Appreciation Award, Neurology Department 2011
Best Researcher Award, Neurology 2010
Best Researcher Award, Neurology 2011
National Coalition Building Awards, Afghan government 2003
Additional Professional Experience
Member of Internal medicine research committee 2011
Board Member of Institute of Community Development 2011
Member of Board of DOA Orphanage Philippines 2011
A.A.E.C (Afghan American Electoral Council) – elected from amongst 250,000 Afghan Americans as one of 10 representatives who where to raise community concerns to the U.S. government and advocate for those who needed the greatest help.
A.C.C. (Asia Consulting Corporation) Founder and CEO – established to facilitate the implementation of projects in post conflict countries.
Health4Family.com LLC. Founder and CEO –Established to provide for the health care needs of the family.
US-ARC (U.S. Afghanistan Reconstruction Council) founder and CEO- The largest Afghan American NGOs establish post 9/11 created for the purpose of facilitating reconstruction in Afghanistan.
A.S.A. (Afghan Student Association) Founder and President – was established to provide aid for the beleaguered people of Afghanistan using the student resources in the United States.
2003-Human Resource Policy of the Ministry Health of Afghanistan
2003-Construction Policy for the Ministry of Health of Afghanistan
2003-Basic Package of Health Services for Health Ministry of Afghanistan
American Association of Neurology
American Medical Association
Medical Doctor, Neurologist, Clinical Research
Member of Operation Smile team in China, participated in a humanitarian mission that was able to operate on over 180 children suffering from burns and congenital deformities such as cleft lip and palate.
Helped raise funds and establish more than five orphanages in Afghanistan
Dr. David Penner—Chair Dept. of Management and Leadership
Dr. Synnove Knutsen—Chair Dept. Epidemiology Loma Linda University
Dr. Gary Fraser—Primary investigator Adventist Health Study
Dr. Bryan Tsao—Director of Loma Linda Neurology Department
Dr. Dilip Jeste—Director Stein Aging Institute
Dr. Thomas Chase Director of Experimental Therapeutics Branch of NINDS/ NIH
Dr. Jonathan Pincus—Director Neurology Georgetown University.
Public health references:
Dr. Richard H. Hart— President Loma Linda University
Dr. Tricia Penniecook–Dean of School of Public Health
Dr. Jackson –Dean of school of Allied Health
Julie Louise Gerberding—former director of U.S. Centers for Disease